Union Terrace Gardens is being revitalised – to conserve the Victorian park’s heritage while enhancing access, amenity and activity.
Award-winning consultancy LDA Design developed plans based on the Masterplan vision, using feedback gathered during a public engagement exercise.
Features of the scheme include:
- New accessible walkway route into the gardens from Union Street
- Lift access from Union Terrace into the upper level of the gardens through a new entrance building on Union Terrace at the existing Burns Monument
- Improved disabled parking facilities on Union Terrace directly adjacent to the new accessible walkway routes into the gardens
- Retaining the central lawn space as a flexible space for large scale gathering and events, and a new entrance opposite His Majesty’s Theatre to accommodate smaller scale events
- Reinstating the ‘grand staircase’ as a central part of the new accessible route into the gardens from Rosemount Viaduct
The next step is to appoint a contractor, with work expected to start in the autumn 2018. The target completion date is summer 2020 at the latest.
For more Phase 1 projects, click here.