Union Terrace Gardens is being regenerated to conserve the Victorian park’s heritage while enhancing access, amenity and activity.
Award-winning consultancy LDA Design developed plans based on the Masterplan vision, using additional feedback gathered during a public engagement exercise.
Features of the scheme include:
- New accessible walkway route into the gardens from Union Street
- Lift access from Union Terrace into the upper level of the gardens through a new entrance building on Union Terrace at the existing Burns Monument
- Improved disabled parking facilities on Union Terrace directly adjacent to the new accessible walkway routes into the gardens
- Retaining the central lawn space as a flexible space for large scale gathering and events, and a new entrance opposite His Majesty’s Theatre to accommodate smaller scale events
- Reinstating the ‘grand staircase’ as a central part of the new accessible route into the gardens from Rosemount Viaduct
Balfour Beatty has been selected as contractor, with construction expected to be completed by summer 2021.
For more Phase 1 projects, click here.